Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The "Real" World

I was discussing homeschoooling with a member of my barbershop chorus, and he said something about the real world. His daughter was homeschooled for a while, incidentally. He agreed with me that real learning that takes place in the real world is the most valuable. I said (& now I am expanding), "I do not want to take my kids out of the real world in the first place. That's what schools do. Nowhere else in the real world will you ever see a bunch of humans of the same age in one place - not to mention against their will. Schools are just not real. They are a relic of the early industrial age pre-occupied with mass-production. You could get any color car as long as it was black, and everybody went through the same "bottling process" called education - 2 parts science, 3 parts math, 5 parts of history and so on. My kids are in the real world, where geography and geometry and history and music and philosophy are all interconnected. It is ironic when people in the school system worry about how homeschoolers will fare in the real world!"

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits has been on a continuous loop in the minivan for a couple of weeks now. Here's a gem from "You're Only Human (Second Wind)":
"So take it from me, you'll learn more from your accidents than anything you could ever learn at school"!
That's the way the real world works.

3 Comments:

Blogger NYCitymomx3 said...

Wonderful! That is so true. I also find it amusing when people ask how she'll fare in "the real world", as if school is in any way "real".

You have a beautiful family.

~Angie

8:55 AM

 
Blogger MP said...

Thanks!

9:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're spot on there - love the Billy Joel reference too :)

Found you via the Carnival of Unschooling, some great writing there.

5:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home