Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Transhumanism and Unschooling

I call myself a Transhumanist. It all starts with Humanism, which Wikipedia defines as:
a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appeal to universal human qualities—particularly rationality.
The article goes on:
Humanism entails a commitment to the search for truth and morality through human means in support of human interests. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, Humanism rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on belief without reason, the supernatural, or allegedly divinely revealed texts. Humanists endorse universal morality based on the commonality of the human condition, suggesting that solutions to human social and cultural problems cannot be parochial.
Transhumanismtakes this one step further. It is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of new sciences and technologies to enhance human mental and physical abilities and aptitudes, and ameliorate what it regards as undesirable and unnecessary aspects of the human condition, such as stupidity, suffering, disease, aging and involuntary death. Transhumanist thinkers study the possibilities and consequences of developing and using human enhancement techniques and other emerging technologies for these purposes.

The World Transhumanist Association describes itself as
an international nonprofit membership organization which advocates the ethical use of technology to expand human capacities. We support the development of and access to new technologies that enable everyone to enjoy better minds, better bodies and better lives. In other words, we want people to be better than well.
In my mind (& Manisha's) my ideas of Unschooling and Transhumanism are joined at the hip. They share a whole list of common themes and preconditions.
  • The belief that life is good.
  • The optimism that life is getting better.
  • The belief that this is an abundant, friendly and trustworthy universe.
  • Our inalienable right to control our own minds and bodies.
  • Friendliness towards technology.
  • Happiness as the ultimate goal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your posting but am troubled by part of it: "The belief that this is an abundant, friendly and trustworthy universe.".
I can't help but thinking of Darfur and the many darfurs of the past, present and (as I shudder) future.
I find the quoted sentence to be quite Christian... reminds me of turn the other cheek.
Therefore, though a vegan of moral reasons, I do teach my young (as they enter young adulthood) to bear arms, to be strong and hopefully able to be able to self-defend (on a community level).
I also teach them to think even if that means rejecting the ways of their parents and others.
Stay strong, healthy and vibrant.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger MP said...

A couple of points:
1. I hear you and share your sadness about atrocities such as Darfur. However, my personal experience is that this is a "an abundant, friendly and trustworthy universe". In a way this is a religious statement, my foundational religious myth. "Nonzero" and "Authentic Happiness" were two books that led me here.

Here's my take on the situation: we humans have tremendous potentials for greatness and evil. From what I see, read and think, there are different way of government that can bring out the greatness or evil in us. In today's global culture, there is essentially a consensus on what works for a diverse population and a healthy economy. And that is liberal, free-market-oriented democracy (Check out that masterpiece of limited government: the American Constitution). We have tried a lot of other ways of governance and they are either self-destructing or not tenable globally. The sooner we get to liberal, free-market-oriented democracies everywhere on earth, I think everyone will have the possibility to experience what I have experienced.

2. The essence of my personal morality is "Think Win-Win (as much as possible)." I have come to realize that I can only implement Win-Win mentality from a position of personal power. Personal power is the source of everything good (This sort of echoes the creed of all martial arts as well). So yes, learning self-defense is good.

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home