Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One Laptop Per Child

We landed back in the US a couple of days ago. Our held mail was waiting for us in the side porch. The big box was the big attraction. Aseem and Supriya had been waiting for it. "It's our laptops!" (We had bought 2 by donating to the Give One, Get One campaign run by One Laptop Per Child last year.) They could not wait for me to open the box. I was afraid it was going to take a long time to charge the battery and get the laptops working, but luckily it just plugged into the wall socket and started working.

I am very impressed with the XO, as it's called. It is very well-designed and quite intuitive. Supriya has spent a lot of time in the last 4 days and learned to use many of its many preloaded programs. Yesterday morning she was at my bedside at 5 o'clock, showing me a little animation she had made! We have already created our own little mesh network, connecting the two XOs wirelessly. We have been able to chat with each other and measure the distance between the two by using its Accoustic Measurement program (with a cute little dolphin icon).

I am as impressed with Supriya's fearless exploration of the XO as I am by the machine. It reinforces my belief that the whole idea behind OLPC is brilliant and is going to revolutionize education across the globe. (Here is a related story.)

4 Comments:

Blogger SUE LANDSMAN-- said...

It's been three years and our computers still aren't networked here. I can't print from my computer!!!

Obviously, I should have Supriya over to fix things.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger JohnDunk said...

I see (yet another) new generation of Linux fans being created!

This laptop seems very cool indeed. I've followed the news on this, and if Joe was older (or if I had free time) I think I'd have to get one. :)

11:39 AM

 
Blogger MP said...

Hi Sue,

I should probably explain that the XO is specifically designed for wireless networking and it worked without a hitch.

- manoj

8:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manoj I'd love to see this machine I've been very curious about the OLPC project...

5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home