Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Supriya and the Globe

Manisha reports:

The kids were looking for books for me to read to them and Aseem pulled down "1000 places to see before You Die: A traveller's life list" by Patricia Schultz. "What's this book?", he wanted to know. I said "It's a travel book. It has places you can visit." Supriya lit up and said, "Why didn't you tell me so? I'll bring my globe and see if I can find those places on the globe." She brought over the globe and started browsing through the book. She found a map of Africa and showed it to me along with Africa on the globe. She said, "This is where Tarzan lived."

I'm thrilled by the connections she's making. She understands that the map and the globe represent the world. She knows where Africa [and the US and India] is.

I was thinking about this after Manisha told me about it and realized that for Supriya the world is a small place! She has travelled to India a couple of times. We have relatives in London. She has been to California, Washington DC, Atlanta, New Jersey, NYC. Apart from this trips in person, she has watched so many different cultures and ways of living on TV and in movies. She is truly a citizen of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home