Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Supriya's Marathi

Supriya has always had a decent grasp of Marathi and since my mother moved in with us this Summer, her Marathi is getting more exposure. Aseem has never been immersed in Marathi and understands very little.

Today Supriya and I made a list of everyday words she knows in Marathi and we came up with more than 35 (besides counting from 1 to 10). She probably knows many more by context and inference (like all of us). She is well-prepared for our upcoming India trip. She still does not speak Marathi, but that is normal and OK with us. That's how I was with Konkani, my father's mother-tongue. I could understand conversations but did not feel confident enough to speak it.

I would not call Supriya bilingual yet, but she is well on her way there. If we went and stayed in Pune for three months, she will be probably be reasonably bilingual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home