Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Aseem Cracks the Code!

Aseem and I are lying in bed just talking. He says, "I ate cereal while you were asleep: A - Slee - Puh." [For the last many days Aseem has been saying ,"I have two words for you: N O!" (copying his big sister who apparently was going around threatening her cousin Aamod, "I have three words for you: You Will Pay!"] Manisha and I had been thinking about his reading progress in connection with something else, so I ask him on a whim, "Do you know what letter makes the "puh" sound?" "P" he says! "And Slee?" "S!" "How about LLLLLL?" "L!" At this point Assem has realized for himself that he was onto something great and he has this huge grin on face!

Then I go through "Time", "Door" and of course that most favorite word, "Butt". At this stage I am interested only in the beginning and ending consonant sounds. He gets them all.

Now he is on a roll and wants to read a book. By now the whole family is gathered in the bedroom to celebrate this milestone. Supriya recommends "Hop on Pop" because it has only a few words on each page. Aseem has his own idea and picks up "Put Me in the Zoo". Supriya and I read the book to him, slowly and word by word. Aseem knows the book practically by heart and follows along. It is tiring work and he is done by the end of the book. It's a lovely start to the weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog makes me so happy that you are going to be my neighbor.
I love hearing about your kids!

9:50 AM

 
Blogger MP said...

The feeling is mutual, Kathy - and thanks for the comment.

12:05 PM

 
Blogger JohnDunk said...

The word sounding has been fun for me with Joe lately too so I completely know both the fun and the tiring. Focusing on the starting and ending sounds seems a good idea - Joe has good luck with the simple consonant (as opposed to compounds like st, ch, sh) but the vowels perplex him. Which makes sense given the vowel-shifting nature of English.

A TV program that Joe enjoys (and is quite good for this) is Word World on PBS. Take a look!

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home