Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Supriya's First Programming Lesson

Supriya starts her first Robotics class in two weeks. It's only 6 or 8 sessions, but she is excited about it (as am I). I want her to be prepared for the class, so I taught her the basics of programming today. I drew a figure on the paper standing at a point on a grid. I told her that a computer is very fast and very dumb, so she has to be very precise in her instructions. It was a simple exercise to get the robot from point A to point B, which she did without any hesitation:
  1. Turn 180 degrees clockwise.
  2. Take 2 steps.
  3. Turn 90 degrees counterclockwise.
  4. Take 3 steps.

It took all of 5 minutes for the "lesson". The rest of programming, as they say, is just details...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home