Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Another Great Post by Tim Ferriss

Here's the link to "The Top 5 Reasons to Be a Jack of All Trades". This statement caught my eye:
Based on my experience and research, it is possible to become world-class in almost any skill within one year.
Nothing in my personal experience tells me otherwise. I think the key is immersion. I know the speed with which kids learn new skills (be it a new language or skating or dancing) when they are immersed in that culture. I know us adults have the same potential if only we stop judging ourselves too quickly and too harshly.

And I absolutely love this:
Be too complex to categorize.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an interesting comment, and makes sense if you are bright, strongly-driven, and the skill doesn't require a level of mental or physical prowess that is extraordinary (or you are handicapped from). Hmm... and then there's the equipment and opportunity problem. I think perhaps I shouldn't judge that too hard out of context.

I'd argue that no-one in Camelot, even our more beefy SCA folks, could become a world-class baseball batter in one year - defined as being a major league performance level. There is a long curve here, perhaps made worse by the fact that your performance is matched against an opposing world-class pitcher.

If you haven't read Word Freak then it offers such an example. Since then Fatsis has also taken a turn at being a american football kicker.

-john d

2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home