Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Writing in Devanaagari

Today my mother taught Supriya how to write all our names in Devanaagari. Supriya has been copying them over and over again, trying to cement it in. It's a lot to take in in one day, but she has managed to absorb a lot. (Go to this Wikipedia article for more.) It's an abugida script (that sounds so esoteric! I learned that word from the Wikipedia article.) - where you start with a basic consonant sound and modify it using diacritical modifiers to denote different vowel sounds. I explained to Supriya the difference between this system and the standard alphabetical way of doing things. It's rather obvious when you write Devanaagari and I think Supriya got it.

2 Comments:

Blogger JohnDunk said...

Hmm... I'll have to look up how this is different from Hebrew, which I believe also uses marks to designate the vowels that follow the consonant sounds. Interestingly, I believe at least some (archaic?) forms of Hebrew drop the vowel marks when the meaning is clear from context... or at least was clear for the author in their historical time and place.

4:49 PM

 
Blogger MP said...

Hi John,

Apparently Hebrew is a impure abjad script (Oh the things you will learn from Wikipedia!). For details go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abjad

And leave a comment when it all makes sense to you! It is not yet forming a complete picture in my head...

Thanks,
manoj

8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home