Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

HSM3

We have become fans of High School Musical 1 and 2. We have watched the movies several times and the van has been playing the CDs non-stop. So when a friend brought up going to the theater to see HSM3, we jumped at it. We went today for the matinee and loved it. What a song-and-dance extravaganza! Disney has pulled out all the stops, and the singing and dancing are fabulous. My feet were tapping all the way from start to finish. It was also Aseem's first ever movie in the theater which he sat through and enjoyed. I was in the theater after a long long time as well. We paid $8 for the matinee and even that feels too much. But I have to say I really enjoyed the experience of the big screen for the big song and dance numbers.

What about the plot, you ask? Well, does it matter?! It was a made-up plot for the senior year for the cast. And I was mentally comparing HSM3 with that other great musical about high school kids, Grease. HSM3 did not have the grittiness of Grease - no sex or teenage pregnancy, no foul language. It was all squeaky clean. All the seniors are talking about is getting into college. It's a sign of the times I suppose. Manisha points out that Grease was probably not targeted at the same age group HSM3 is, but I am still struck by the difference in the vibes.

Oh and by the way, I thought the theater was going to be a mob scene and I had Manisha go and buy tickets last night. When we got to the theater in the morning it was deserted! Apparently it was at the top of the box office for the weekend, but that probably means that the other movies had even smaller audience. Possibly the effect of the recession on discretionary spending?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

Loved it!

I'm such a sucker for the big song and dance numbers. The story waxed and waned, but the hits just kept on coming.

My favorite number was "The Boys are Back". As Stephen noted, it's quite a feat to have guys dance like that and still look cool. And I enjoyed the waltz scene very much too.

The songs did seem quite similar to ones in the rest of the franchise, but even this will not disappoint HSM fans.

Glad we could share.

9:34 PM

 
Blogger MP said...

"Boys are back" was Aseem and Supriya's favorite also. It did not go far enough for me.

I agree with Stephen. It is a sad commentary on American manhood and what it takes to be a cool man. I feel that women have many more choices than men do in this 21st century (but that's a separate blog post - coming soon!)

My favorite was "I want it all", in case you are wondering.

And yes, the waltz scene was very, how do you say, HOT!

9:00 AM

 
Blogger Lynne said...

"I Want it All" was definitely the biggest song and dance number (probably V's favorite, too), but it's not difficult to make that subject matter glitzy and glam.

I will refrain from commenting on the hotness of teenage boys lest I be thought a cougar.

9:18 AM

 
Blogger MP said...

Zachary David Alexander "Zac" Efron (born October 18, 1987) and Corbin Bleu Reivers (born February 21, 1989). OK, I guess Corbin *is* a teenager still...

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Lynne said...

Just because it's legal doesn't make it moral!

10:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home