Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Bangles

My "pre-owned" minivan came with a CD player that has been deteriorating over the years. It skips too much and is not a lot of fun to play. In the spirit of making-lemonade-from-lemons, I have been digging up my old stash of cassette tapes, all of them from my student days in the late 1980s. We have been enjoying Billy Joel and the Eagles so far. Another big hit with Supriya has been the Bangles. Then I ended up getting a DVD of the music videos of the songs (The Greatest Hits album) from Netflix. And that has also been a big hit with the kids. Aseem loves the "Walk like an Egyptian" video in particular.

Karl asked me why I was so into the Bangles. I of course like their sound. Musically they are not in the league of Billy Joel or the Eagles, but their energy is very upbeat & infectious. I always feel like dancing to their music. The other reason has to do with providing a role-model for Supriya. It's probably no surprise to anybody that most rock-and-roll is all-male - the Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Eagles, Billy Joel, Elvis. Supriya's personal "energy" is definitely rock-and-roll, and I wanted her to see all-girl bands in action. Hence the Bangles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home