Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Aseem and Spelling

"I know how to spell TOY!" Aseem declared and spelled it for me with much glee. He was watching Toy Story and had evidently made the connection between the word and its spelling. I aked him, "So how do you think you spell BOY?" After a moment's thought, "B-O-Y!" came the reply.

Today as we were driving I wanted to build on this. He remembers ZOO from "Put me in the zoo". So I asked him, "If Z-O-O spells zoo, how do you think you spell zoom?" "Z-O-O-M!" "And what is Z-O-O-T?' "Zoot!" He was on a roll. Later at the mall I wrote zoo -> zoom, zoo -> zoot, boo -> boot, boo -> boom, too -> toot, and he made all the connections. On the way back he went through M-O for mo and N-O for no and D-O for do. He is really getting it.

Next on my list are two words he already knows the spellings of: dad and mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home