Our Unschooling Adventure - which officially started in Lowell in the Fall of 2005 - now continues in Berlin.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Supriya and Divisions

So last night Supriya came up to Manisha and said, "I am really good with this line with two dots!" She had found a deck of division flash cards. She knew what it was about and had worked out many as well - she just did not know that the "line with two dots" was called division!

She showed me how she worked out the problems and I have to say it's a unique method. She just solved "49 / 7". She drew 49 dots on paper. Then she drew lines around groups of 7. At the end she had 7 such groups, which is the answer. This is a brilliant method and shows a high degree of understanding of what division is all about. I am truly impressed.

She is sitting right next to me and working out the rest of the problems from the deck. I can see that she is in a state of Flow. She is fully absorbed and engrossed in the challenge. She is in it for her own reasons and it is building up her self-image and self-esteem. It's a pleasure to watch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home